Through the Domestic Violence Project, MWLS advocates serve approximately 225 victims of domestic abuse each year. Our highest priority is ensuring that children do not witness or endure further domestic abuse. For this reason, we help primarily parents who are victims of domestic abuse with their divorce, paternity, custody or visitation cases.
The Domestic Violence Project provides:
- Advice or limited services for clients, depending on level of need and available resources
- Representation in contested Probate and Family Court cases, such as divorces or paternity actions
- Referrals to community agencies for support and assistance
Victims may experience further abuse when they do not have accurate information regarding their legal rights and responsibilities. Without representation, many people are not able to navigate the court system. They are often not able to articulate their concerns and wishes. Through advice and support, DVP attorneys give clients the guidance they need to make informed decisions. Through representation in court, our lawyers advocate for safe parenting plans, appropriate financial support and orders to protect clients’ families from further abuse.
In addition, through our Private Bar Involvement (PBI) Program, local private attorneys volunteer their services to assist MWLS clients in family law matters, including uncontested divorces, guardianships, and paternity cases.
We do not handle cases that involve child support only. If you have questions regarding child support only please scroll down to some links you may find helpful.
INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND THE LEGAL PROCESS
Mass Legal Help
Massachusetts legal aid programs put together this website to help you find practical information about your legal rights. For example, information about issues regarding divorce, paternity, custody, child support, unemployment or employment matters, immigration, CORI, SNAP benefits (formerly called “Food Stamps”), and many more areas.
- Safelink Casa Myrna’s statewide, toll-free, domestic violence hotline
- Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance
- The Governor's Commission on Domestic Violence Additional resources
- Voices Against Violence (VAV) Free and confidential services to victims of domestic/partner violence and sexual assault/rape in the Metrowest area. Services are provided in English, Spanish, and Portuguese and are available to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- DOVE (Domestic Violence Ended)
- Jane Doe Inc Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence
- Asian Task Force
- Women's Bar Foundation Family Law Project for Battered Women
- Saheli Boston A group dedicated to helping South Asian women in Boston and surrounding areas.
- MAPS The Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers (MAPS) provides a wide range of health and human services to Portuguese speakers and other residents of eastern Massachusetts.
MASSACHUSETTS LEGAL FORMS
- Financial Statement in Spanish (short form)
- Financial Statement in Portuguese (short form)